Monday, October 23, 2023

ChatGPT: Useful At Last

Y'all, I finally found a use for ChatGPT (and other similar LLMs) in my work.

Have you ever read a patent, and felt like it wasn't written in English? Even if you know something about the field, it just doesn't seem to communicate concepts in a way most humans can understand.

I've spent a lot of time trying to read and understand patents, and I've spent a lot of that time not understanding what I am reading. Even some of the simpler inventions I've shared--like the cat tree in this post--may have sections difficult to comprehend. 

Well, for my third post on ChatGPT (and other LLM AIs), I can tell you it has finally helped me in a significant way: ChatGPT will explain a patent to you in simple, plain English.

An image of an interaction with ChatGPT requesting an explanation of a patent
Requesting an explanation

An image of an interaction with ChatGPT showing most of an explanation of a patent
Most of the explanation provided

Of course, significant limitations should be applied. If you provide a patent number to the free, historical info-only version of ChatGPT, chances are it will tell you about the wrong patent.
An image of an interaction with ChatGPT that returned an explanation of a different patent
Thanks for explaining something else

And if the text you copy from a patent into the text entry box is too long to get around that, it will cause an error and not be able to respond. 

An image of an interaction with ChatGPT that resulted in an error due to too much text
I'm uncertain what amount of text is too much

But the live info-version of ChatGPT that powers Bing Chat Enterprise did provide a good explanation for Rice's most recent patent, US 11,767,291 "Preparation of Secondary Amines with Electrophilic N-Linchpin Reagents", without me needing to copy and paste the patent's text. 

An interaction with Bing Chat Enterprise that resulted in a good explanation of a patent
This was a really good explanation that included molecule diagrams!
I have found that just asking for info about a patent, or providing just a number or a title, can lead to some incorrect information. So if you want accuracy, pasting sections of text or specifying patent number, title, and maybe even more might be best. 
An image of an interaction with Bing Chat Enterprise showing the AI's decision to close a conversational thread following multiple errors
Bing decided it didn't want to deal with my corrections

An image of an interaction with Bing Chat Enterprise that shows an explanation of a patent but includes a link without the linking ability
You might also get a "link" that is just plain text

Oh, and you have to use Microsoft Edge to access Bing Chat. Not my preferred internet browser.

But even with these somewhat significant drawbacks, at least I got an explanation for what all these embodiments and disclosures really mean.


No comments:

Post a Comment