Friday, July 19, 2024

Mission(s) to Mars

As always, whenever I see something IP related (do I need to link to that post yet again?), I tend to take note. About half the time, I look up whatever I saw later. 

So of course when I was reading a book from Fondren's excellent leisure reads collection (which may look small but those books aren't discarded later, they just relocate--so Fondy has LOTS of fun books), and I saw a trademark disclaimer at the start, I could not help but want to learn more. Here's an image:

Disclaimer straight from the book
For context, the book is Girlfriend on Mars by Deborah Willis. If you want to read it, I should have it back to Fondy by Tuesday or Wednesday. I'm plowing through print books lately on the offhand chance that the light from screens is affecting my sleep. I don't stay up playing games or watching videos or scrolling through social media, I tend to stay up and read books, but they're on my iPad. When I started having a hard time reading print because it gets dark and the text is small, I defaulted to that option. 

Sorry, that was much more information about my personal reading habits than necessary.

Back to the disclaimer. The book uses a fictitious company and endeavor called "MarsNow", which bears some resemblance to other commercial space efforts owned by billionaires in the real world, but is not related to the real registered Mars Now trademarks. And there are two that my brief search of the USPTO trademark database found, and two more in the WIPO Global Brand Database. 

Marsnow, no. 5031834, the mark registered to Chen Yong jun of China, is just a simple word mark and fora variety of clothing, mostly sports wear. It also has an international entry but is only registered in the US.

Also in the USPTO database is #MarsNow, which is dead, abandoned, never registered, from 2017, for t-shirts, and submitted by the Tee Party Company. I think it wasn't a strong application. Cool specimen, though. 

Specimen photograph from the TSDR files for #MarsNow
There is also a Marsnow registered in South Korea, which was submitted in 2013. It is now dead, the protection ending in November 2023. I am uncertain what it is for (my Korean is nonexistent), other than "electrical and scientific apparatus", which is the given international class for its goods. 

Finally, there is the last Marsnow, registered in India in 2019. It is protected through 2029, and also class 9, but this one includes more specifications. The record claims primarily mobile accessories for phones and Bluetooth equipment. Unlike all other other Marsnow, it has a cool logo and isn't just a basic word mark.

Intellectual Property India, registration no. 4185381

Well, I guess that's Marsnow. MarsNow. I don't think I would have confused any of those with the fictitious company, but I suppose CYA is important.

No comments:

Post a Comment